December/January 2008: Related Reports
Carbon Disclosure Project Report 2007
Download PDF Document
Hazardous Waste in Ontario: Progress and Challenges
2007 Status Report PDF Document
2007 Annual Report on Hazardous Waste Management
Download PDF Document
August/September 2006: Related Reports
NAFTA Commission for Environmental Cooperation "Taking Stock" report
Sustainable Technology Development Canada (SDTC) Funding
Brownfields Redevelopment report by Association of Municipalities Ontario
June/July 2006: Related Reports and
Award-winning Editorial -- Editor Connie Vitello wins Gold Award for Best Editorial from the Canadian Business Press
Pharmaceuticals in the Environment
Fuel for the fire
Canadian Institute for Environmental Law and Policy report
Post Consumer Pharmaceutical Stewardship Association
April/May 2006: Related Reports and
Ontario Reg 127
OnAir Historic Repository
GLOBE 2006 -- MORE COVERAGE FROM THE TRADE SHOW FLOOR
February/March 2006: Related Reports
Automotive indoor air
Impact of Canada's
Voluntary Agreement on GHG Emmisions
[Maternity leave from April/May 2005
to December/January 2006]
February/March 2005: Related
Reports and Articles
The Commission for Environmental Cooperation (CEC) report â€œNorth American Power Plant Air Emissionsâ€
Health Canadaâ€™s GHS documents
January/December 2005: Related
Reports and Articles
Statistics Canada report: Environmental Protection http://www.statcan.ca:8096/bsolc/english/bsolc?catno=16F0006X
Brownie Award Winners
Click here to view detail
October/November 2004: Related
Reports and Articles
International Joint Commission's Twelfth
Biennial Report on Great Lakes Water Quality
Legal Perspective: Website references in
"Metrics for Environmental Success"
Michael Jantzi Research
International Exhibition for Environmental
Download the Word
Canadian Business Press "Information
To read the complete TRI report, visit: www.epa.gov/tri/tridata/tri02/index.htm
To read the Environmental Integrity Project's report, visit: www.environmentalintegrity.org/pub206.cfm
August/September 2004: Related
Reports and Articles
Alberta E-Waste Recycling Fees www.gov.ab.ca/acn/200405/16394.html#backgrounder3
Inco Limited Case -- Decision of the Divisional Court
Air Emissions Management Framework for the Alberta Electricity Sector
"Nuclear Energy: A Tale of Two Plants"
April/May 2004: Related Reports
Commission for Environmental Cooperation's
Taking Stock Report
National Corporate Social Responsibility Report
February/March 2004: Related Reports and Articles
Canada-Quebec Agreement on Environmental Assessment
-- please download PDF document
WHMIS Symbol Game
Transport of Dangerous Goods Regulations
CSA B621-98: CSA International
CGSB 43.146-2002 and 43.147-2002: Canadian General Standards Board
December/January 2004: Related Reports and Articles
State of the Industry Report --
Environmental law resource
Brownfields 2003 Coverage
National Round Table on the Environment and the Economy Brownfields report
up the Past, Building the Future (PDF format, 1.59MB)
October/November 2003: Related Reports and Articles
Environmental Protection Expenditures in the Business Sector, 2000
Port Colborne cleanup update, reports
Environmental Emergencies Regulations on-line notification
August/September 2003: Related Reports and Articles
New environmental emergency regulations
Energy Probe Research Foundation
Renaissance ROM web cam
CCME proposed standards for coal-fired power generation
June/July 2003: Related Reports and Articles
Taking Stock Report
National Post Business "Environment & Energy"
supplement (PDF 2036KB)
Safety Equipment Institute certified products list
New B.C. Environment Act
Quebec Pesticides Management Code
Pesticides Regulations in Toronto www.city.toronto.on.ca/health/hphe/pesticides_reducing.htm
April/May 2003: Related Reports and Articles
"2003 Commercial Hazardous Waste Recycling, Treatment & Disposal Facilities"
Quebec Pesticide Management Code
New U.S.-Style Auto Emissions Regulation and regulatory impact analysis statement
February/March 2003: Related Reports and Articles
"The Iceman Cometh"
Forum (PDF format, 840KB)
December/January 2003: Related Reports and Articles
Brownfields and Contaminated Sites
Emergency Response Expert
October/November 2002: Related Reports and Articles
Canadian pollution prevention initiatives
August/September 2002: Related Reports and Articles
Great Lakes restoration agreement www.pollutionprobe.org/managing.shared.waters/index
Toxic gas monitoring
TDG Clear Language Guidelines
June/July 2002: Related Reports and Articles
magazine article "Asbestos: The $200 Billion Miscarriage of Justice"
Walkerton Drinking Water Reports
Certified Environmental Site Assessor Program (CESA)
or contact email@example.com.
US EPA's Toxic Release Inventory Report
Environmentally Sound Management framework
April/May 2002: Related Reports and Articles
Canada Communicable Disease Report,
â€œConstruction - Related Nosocomial Infections in Patients in Health Care
Facilities: Decreasing the Risk of Aspergillus, Legionella and Other
Infectionsâ€, Health Canada, 2001. http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/pphb-dgspsp/publicat/ccdr-rmtc/01vol27/27s2/index.html
Ontario Ministry of Labour, â€œAlert - Mould in
Workplace Buildingsâ€, 2000. http://www.gov.on.ca/lab/ohs/a20e.htm
Manitoba Labour, â€œGuidelines for the
Investigation, Assessment and Remediation of Mould in Workplacesâ€, 2001.
United States Environmental Protection Agency,
â€œMold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildingsâ€, 2001. http://www.epa.gov/iaq/molds/graphics/moldremediation.pdf
February/March 2002: Related Reports and Articles
January 2002: Related Reports and Articles
- Toronto HazMat Conference & Show
- Counter-terrorism links
Institute Of HMM: www.ihmm.org
Chemical Biological Defense Information Analysis Center: http://www.cbiac.apgea.army.mil
Emergency Response to Terrorism: http://www.usfa.fema.gov/nfa/tr_ertss.htm
FBI - Terrorism in the U.S.: http://www.fbi.gov/publish/terror/terroris.htm
Terrorism Research Center: http://www.terrorism.com
FEMA - Rapid Response Information System: http://www.fema.gov/rris/
Industrial Scientific Consultants: www.indsci.com
Transport Canada: http://www.tc.gc.ca/tdg/en/menu.htm
- Reduce the Risk of Anthrax
Anthrax is a deadly bacterium that can enter the body in three ways: through contact with broken skin, through ingestion (eating) of an infected animal product, and through the inhalation of spores. Anthrax was sent to Capitol building and major news organizations through the mail. Authorities in Canada and the U.S. have advised that everyone watch out for suspicious packages.
Secretary of Labor Elaine Chao issued recommendations from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) that will reduce the risk of anthrax exposure when handling mail. Take the following precautionary measures as outlined by OSHA:
- Be on the lookout for suspicious letters and packages, including packages or envelopes of unusual weight or size, packages or envelopes with a handwritten address and/or no return address, and packages or envelopes with excessive postage.
- Open packages/envelopes with a minimum amount of movement and always use a letter opener or method that is least likely to disturb the contents.
- Do not blow into envelopes.
- Do not shake or pour out the contents.
- Keep hands away from nose and mouth when opening mail.
- Always wash hands after handling mail.
For links to more information from OSHA or Health Canada and to order an anthrax test kit see:
- Safe Building Tips
The American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) offers the following disaster safety checklist for businesses in the aftermath of the catastrophe. ASSE recognizes that this is not a one-size-fits-all situation, and that the first step of any such initiative is a hazard evaluation and assessment performed by a safety professional, but this checklist may provide guidance to prepare a safe working environment.
- Structural security: Have the structural integrity of the building or facility validated by qualified professionals before anyone enters the facility.
- Safe entry: Contact the proper government agencies to get approval to resume occupancy. Do not enter a facility or building unless the proper clearances are attained.
- Cleanup safety: Implement cleanup and business resumption processes in a safe and healthful manner. Provide training in proper selection and use of personal protective equipment (PPE) for your employees such as eyewear, gloves, and dust masks/respirators during cleaning, and where appropriate in other operations.
- Air quality assessment: Make sure the atmosphere in the workplace environment is tested for asbestos and other chemical/hazardous agents. The issue of air quality is one a business may wish to pay careful attention to when restarting business operations.
- Ventilation: Have vents checked to assure that water heaters and gas furnaces are clear and operable. Dust and debris can stop or impede airflow, decreasing its quality and healthfulness. Safely start-up heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, which includes prior inspection of lines before energizing and pressurizing of the systems. Remember that the heating season is almost ready to begin. Test systems or have a qualified specialist do so. It is a good idea to blow cold air through HVAC systems at first, as opposed to warm weather, as it will help prevent the growth of mould in duct systems.
For ASSEâ€™s complete disaster checklist, see http://www.asse.org/
October 2001: Related Reports and Articles
August/September 2001: Related Reports and Articles
June/July 2001: Related Reports and Articles
April/May 2001: Related Reports and Articles
February/March 2001: Related Reports and Articles
December/January 2001: Related Reports and Articles
October/November 2000: Related Reports and Articles
April/May 2000: Related Reports and Articles
February/March 2000: Related Reports and Articles
Download the full text of
the APA report.
February/March 1999: Related Reports and Articles
- Guy Crittenden wins the Silver Medal for Best Editorial at the 1998 Kenneth
R. Wilson Awards, Sponsored by the Canadian Business Press
June/July 1998: Related Reports and Articles
April/May 1998: Related Reports and Articles
February/March 1998: Related Reports and Articles
December/January 1998: Related Reports and Articles
October/November 1997: Related Reports and Articles
Niagara River Toxics Management Plan
PCB Waste Export Regulations, 1996