At Walter Knox Memorial Hospital in Emmett, Idaho, patients and staff were locked down on August 14, 2013 after an employee spilled mercury in a hospital maintenance room.
It is unknown how much mercury was spilled, but the facility was shut down for several hours while a containment team examined the scene.
Gem County's Emergency Medical Services Special Operations Unit and Hazmat team joined the city fire department in responding to the spill.
The lockdown was ordered to ensure there was no cross-contamination from the shop building into the hospital, by staff members or anybody else.
No cross-contamination was found.
Hospital staff screened incoming patients outside of the front doors in an outdoor triage center.