Enbridge Inc. is working to erase fears of safety concerns around its Northern Gateway pipeline, the company’s CEO assured attendees at the pipeline safety forum hosted by the National Energy Board in Alberta.
The June 5 and 6, 2013 forum at the BMO Centre in Stampede Park heard from Enbridge CEO Al Monaco, whose company was told earlier in June 2013 that British Columbia (B.C.) would not offer support to the pipeline project out of concerns the company is not positioned to adequately respond to a major oil spill.
The 1,600-kilometre, $6-billion line would transport 550,000 barrels per day of oil sands crude from just outside Edmonton to a port in Kitimat, on the northern B.C. coast.
“[…] I think the B.C. position is pretty much what they’ve stated,” Monaco told reporters at the forum. “Which is they want to see more information, they’re going to input their views to the joint-review panel process and as, I said before, we see it as a pretty good roadmap to get things done.”
The NEB Safety Forum is another step the board is taking towards achieving its target of zero incidents on NEB-regulated pipelines and facilities.
“The NEB requires its regulated companies to have effective management systems that provide the foundation for a pervasive culture of safety,” said Gaétan Caron, the NEB’s Chair and CEO. “A strong safety culture will increase protection of the public, workers and the environment while at the same time help to build public trust in the energy sector and its regulators, a critical component to the energy sector’s continued success.”
Key topics explored at the safety forum were corporate leadership’s role in building and maintaining a safety culture, integration within management systems and effective safety performance measurement.