A new wave of innovative cleantech entrepreneurs are ready to take advantage of The SD Tech Fund, open for applications from February 19th to April 16th, 2014 from the Government of Canada and Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC).
"Cleantech is the exciting nexus of making the most of economic opportunity and embracing environmental responsibility, providing Canadian industry with the tools needed to succeed domestically and globally," said Vicky Sharpe, President and CEO of SDTC, in a statement. "The SD Tech Fund is key to supporting cleantech innovations, launching them onto the world stage where Canada can participate in the burgening cleantech market, valued at $1 trillion today," she added.
SDTC supports technologies that address the challenges of Clean Air, Soil, Water and Climate Change, including technology solutions focused on these current technology priority areas:
- Responsible resource development: Mitigate environmental impacts associated with Canada's natural resource sector through technologies in the oil and gas, mining, and forestry sectors.
- Next generation transportation: Technologies related to next generation vehicles having reduced emissions and higher energy efficiency, with a focus on freight transportation.
- Resource and energy efficiency: Technologies that encourage energy efficiency in buildings and industrial processes, with a focus on industrial water use efficiency.
- Clean energy: Technologies that enable clean energy production, distributed power generation and energy storage as well as technologies related to carbon capture and storage, integrated energy systems, and biorefinery/biochemical production.
- Agriculture: Technologies that increase yield and improve temperature and drought resistance of agricultural crops, mitigate land-use changes and biodiversity loss and diversify farm incomes.
- Northern and remote communities: Innovative technologies and solutions for self-sufficiency in smaller communities, such as food security, heavy-lift transportation, small-scale renewable energy and microgrid applications.
- On behalf of the Government of Canada, SDTC helps commercialize Canadian clean technologies, readying them for growth and export markets.
- Through its SD Tech Fund, SDTC helps companies through the critical juncture when capital and scaling costs become challenges and the risk profile deters other investors.
- The SDTC portfolio is currently comprised of 246 clean technology projects with a total value of $2.2 billion, of which over $1.6 billion is leveraged primarily from the private-sector.
- With a portfolio of companies under management valued at more than $2 billion, SDTC is positioning cleantech as a driver of jobs, productivity and economic prosperity.