The National Biosafety and Biocontainment Training Program and Kent State University are offering a five-day series of courses in Biosafety and Biocontainment for BSL-3 Laboratory Workers.
These courses are designed for biosafety professionals, researchers and laboratorians to enhance individual knowledge and meet the scientific, regulatory, biocontainment, biosafety, and engineering challenges associated with the working in a biocontainment facility. Daily topics will include:
- Introduction to microbiology and biosafety
- Principles of biosafety and biocontainment
- The biological risk assessment process
- Laboratory sterilization and disinfection
- Emergency planning and response
- Laboratory regulations, standards and guidelines
- Biocontainment laboratory security
- Packaging and shipping 6.2 hazardous materials
- Agents of bioterrorism
- Hands on sessions using laboratory equipment
View a detailed schedule and instructor bios and download a printable registration form at http://www.nbbtp.org/courses-coming-soon.aspx
NBBTP is authorized by IACET to offer 4.0 CEUs. Participants will be required to score a minimum of 70% on each post-course knowledge assessment in order to receive CEUs. Successful completion of the courses is a prerequisite for completion of a Basic Level Certificate in Biosafety and Biocontainment, and for participation in the NBBTP Advanced and Comprehensive Level certificate programs.
Biosafety and Biocontainment Training for BSL-3 Laboratory Workers
Kent State University, Kent, Ohio
June 24-28, 2013
Course Tuition is $1200, or $240/day. Public health laboratory employees may receive a discounted tuition of $400. NIH and NIAID employees may attend tuition-free.
We request registration by June 1, 2013, after which participants will be admitted if space is available.
- Course Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m
- Lodging at several national chain hotels is available in or near Kent. The Kent State University rate of $74.95/night is available at the Kent Holiday Inn Express Inn & Suites - which is four miles from campus but close to restaurants and downtown Kent. To reserve a room at the Kent State rate, participants must call the hotel directly, at 330-673-9200 and ask for one of the rooms being held in the "BSL Training” block. Room charges will be billed through the University, and we will email information on payment methods for lodging with the course registration confirmation. The hotel rate includes a complimentary breakfast buffet. Shuttle service between campus and the hotel may be available for a fee. This hotel link below also provides directions from the Cleveland and Akron airports.