Canada’s top stats makers have released data showing the amount of hazardous waste handled by industry in 2012 at transfer stations, intermediate processing facilities and final destination hazardous waste treatment disposal and recycling facilities.
Statistics Canada’s Hazardous Waste Management Industry Survey will be used to compile a national-level estimate of the amount of hazardous waste processed at Canadian facilities. The data will also be used by Environment Canada to fulfill international reporting requirements under the Basel Convention.
Statistics Canada divided the hazardous waste data into five categories:
- Flammable hazardous waste — 109,339,236 kg
- Reactive and Corrosive hazardous waste — 48,374,155 kg
- Toxic and Pathological hazardous waste — 263,459,414 kg
- Mercury-laden hazardous waste — 861,515 kg
- Other hazardous waste — 364,361,793 kg
Data collection for this reference period: March – May, 2013